[Tfug] Deleting file with invalid charcter

Brian Murphy murphy+tfug at email.arizona.edu
Fri Jul 6 15:05:06 MST 2007

Quoting Claude Rubinson <rubinson at u.arizona.edu>:
> Escaping unusual character's with a backslash will usually work.  For
> the worst case scenario where you can't figure out what to do, keep a
> copy of mc on your system.  It'll do the job.

The old-school way of doing it before graphical file managers is ls -i
to get the inode number and using find's -inum option with -exec rm.

This method is handy when the first character of the filename is not on
the keyboard.

Brian

The opinions or statements expressed herein are my own and should not be
taken as a position, opinion, or endorsement of the University of
Arizona.