[Tfug] Security website

Quag7 coldfront at frostwarning.com
Wed Jan 31 11:06:05 MST 2007

On Wednesday 31 January 2007 7:50 am, lukkystarr at excite.com wrote:
> I was doing some research for setting up my network, and came across a
> great page explaining how routers work, and how they can be worked into a
> LAN successfully.  I started checking out the source of the webpage, and
> the guy, Steve Gibson, seems a bit of an alarmist.
>
> http://www.grc.com/default.htm

I use his leaktest application sometimes when I'm messing around with my
iptables configuration, but he has a reputation as being a little out there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Gibson

Some info there on Steve Gibson controversies.

I suppose he has some positive karma for, if nothing else, exposing the
weaknesses in firewalls/IDSs like BlackIce, a program which (when it was
released) was being enthusiastically touted (to me) as the end-all, be-all
security "firewall," which it wasn't.

He has a tendency to freak out about stuff, using a lot of exclamation points.
I'd have more of an opinion on him either way if I knew who his readership
was.  Getting people paranoid about security, setting up firewalls, and so
on, is probably not a bad thing, in balance, even if he exaggerates
sometimes.

I like his leaktest tool though.