[Tfug] Ideas for the ultimate "Grandma Millie" distro...

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 04:09:48 MST 2007

To make Ubuntu Edgy blow up in truly spectacular fashion:

* Insert flash memory device of any sort on USB - with data already on it.

* Erase said data - but don't empty trash.

* Properly eject (unmount) USB drive.

* Work normally.  For a while.  Until it starts running dead-dog-slow and
you look in the trash and find 3,000+ items in there, randomly picked from
your file system...

And that's on top of a few crashes here and there.  It was the disk coming
freakily unglued on me that made me start looking for something else in a
tearing hurry...

Folks: I *know* that neither Edgy or Feisty are long term support.  But Edgy
was a mess from the get-go and you can bet the Ubuntu guys have figured that
out.  I would call it a good bet they're going to worry more about stability
in Feisty than they clearly didn't in Edgy.

They will be aided by generally better code in Gnome, the kernel and lots
more.  "Better ingredients make for better soup" and all that.  No
guarantees of course but...I think they CAN get it right.  Whether they do
or not, who knows...though the reports from people running Feisty Alpha are
positive by and large...

Jim