[Tfug] Ideas for the ultimate "Grandma Millie" distro...

Paul Lemmons paul at lemmons.name
Mon Jan 29 15:19:59 MST 2007

-------- Original Message  --------
Subject: [Tfug] Ideas for the ultimate "Grandma Millie" distro...
From: "Jim March" <1.jim.march at gmail.com>
To: "Tucson Free Unix Group" <tfug at tfug.org>
Date: 01/27/2007 11:14 AM
> <snip
> They use a few basic apps hard and heavy:
> EMail, web, MS-officecrud.  Some do simple photostuff.
>
> <snip>
> I am NOT going to "rinse lather repeat" on the next 50+...
>
> <snip>
> Where else should I look?
>
> Jim

http://www.centos.org/

It is a redhat re-dristro/re-brand and free. It is (or can be) 100%
binary compatible with the redhat product so stability is the name of
the game. Personally, I question the ethics of the distro but it worth a
look. If you like it in a pilot you may wish to fork out the big bucks
($179) and support the industry. (<-- not intended to be flame bait.)

Email - Thunderbird is the cleanest of the 4 or 5 I have tried Evolution
is the worst
Web - Firefox is solid
MS-OfficeCrud  - Open office works very well with the exception of calc
to make charts and graphs
Photostuff - The Gimp (but you may need to do genetic reconstruction and
add some geek genes to get this to work for them)

Reloading 50+ machines with Linux does not sound like too much fun
either. You may have to rinse but hopefully not repeat :-\

Good luck!