[Tfug] OT: Cox cable

rfs_lists at mac.com rfs_lists at mac.com
Sat Jan 27 22:24:08 MST 2007

On Jan 27, 2007, at 1:27 pm, keith smith wrote:

> intent
That sets up the freeloader...

> to defraud another of any part of the lawful  charge for services
...and there's your answer: no part of the charge is defrauded by
unauthorized connections, because it's flat rate.

> that are provided over or by a licensed cable television system as
> defined in section 9-505, makes any unauthorized connection,
(blah blah)
Again, setting up freeloader...

> or attaches any unauthorized device
(blah)
and some more set up...

> to a television set or to any other instrument that is authorized
> to  be attached to a cable television system
...and answer number two makes it dubious: the person connecting to
an open wireless network doesn't know it's part of a *tv* system. All
"Unsecured network" signals look identical, whether connected to TV
systems or not, whether intentionally open or not. This provision
*could* be considered entrapment.

So while it might be sailing close to the wind, it *is* legally
defensible to connect to open wireless networks.

Oh yeah: just so you're sure: I pay for my secure wireless DSL.
Although I used to use open networks freely, I haven't for three or
four years now, mainly cos I don't want my packets sniffed...

R.