[Tfug] Ideas for the ultimate "Grandma Millie" distro...

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Sat Jan 27 21:36:50 MST 2007

Earl: one issue with K/Ubuntu 6.06 is that one big issue is
interchangability with M$-Office and for that, you really need OpenOffice
2.1...otherwise that's a whole 'nuther "why are my documents funky" set of
support calls.

I *know*, it's ridiculous, we need the absolute latest app set
(OO2.1anyways) which generally means cutting-edge distro which in turn
means
kablooey city all too often.

SIGH.

Debian 4.0 will include OO2.0.4, dammit.  It would have been a contender
otherwise.  And yeah, I *know* you can load OO2.1 from RPMs or an
unsupported repository, but that means upgrade trouble down the line.  I'm
doing OO2.1 on Fedora Core 6 and I know *I* can maintain my own rig no
sweat...

Feisty will have OO2.1.  Given that Mark Shuttleworth and company damned
well should have learned from Edgy that stability is an issue, it may be
"the chosen one"...

Jim