[Tfug] OT: Cox cable

Tyler Kilian vaca at GrazeLand.COM
Sat Jan 27 10:25:26 MST 2007

On Jan 27, 2007, at 1:50 AM, bigj at flatwan.net wrote:

>> *sigh* That's all too likely, given the prevailing
>> jackboot-mentality...
>> If they *do* haul you off to court Jon, just get a lawyer who
>> understands a) 802.11 and b) slipstreaming (called "drafting" here?)
>>
>> I mean, by following in the wake of another vehicle, you're getting
>> something for free: reduced air friction. And the guy in front
>> punching
>> the hole in the air at 85 is paying for it. But here's the kicker:
>> he's
>> paying for it regardless.
>>
>> Same difference with 802.11, right? They're *advertising* the bugger
>> as
>> open. They don't pay a penny extra just because you're catching up on
>> the news. Besides, many OSs (Mac, for example), jump on the strongest,
>> OPEN wireless network. You can't necessarily help getting on the
>> "wrong"
>> wireless network. (I know for a fact my Dad wouldn't realise his iBook
>> was using someone else's wireless network.)

It's not the same as drafting at all.  A network, any network, wired or
otherwise, is the property of the person setting it up.  It is up to
that person to decide who access is granted to.  Why is it such a
difficult concept to grasp this?  The best analogy is not locking a
door.  Your unlocked door does not erode your right to keep people out.
   All the items you list are interesting and mitigating circumstances
for a court, but in theory it's still theft of service unauthorized
access, or a variety of other things.  Nobody's going to jail for it
though, let's be honest. :)