[Tfug] OT: Cox cable

Tyler Kilian vaca at GrazeLand.COM
Fri Jan 26 21:25:28 MST 2007

The problem is, we're not talking about willful interference.  Using
your neighbor's wifi without permission isn't violating any laws
regarding interference.  Cordless phones and wifi gear are intentional
radiators and as long as they stay in-band, within power limits, and
are transmitted through a legal antenna system, then we can pretty much
ignore the interference argument.  Someone using a neighbor's wifi is
using the gear from an, RF perspective, legally.

The legal argument I make, and that Harry and others make, has to do
with the network aspect.  It's contention for IPs and data bandwidth,
not radio bandwidth, that is the question.  It is a question about
permission to use a network, not about federal laws granting you the
right to broadcast in the ISM band.