[Tfug] OT: Cox cable

Tyler Kilian vaca at GrazeLand.COM
Fri Jan 26 16:44:03 MST 2007

A wireless network isn't considered inherently different than a wired
network by law.   You can intend on having people connect or not and
it's all policy based and not technology based.  The old "Cyber Cafes"
were wired and open, akin to a modern day WiFi hotspot, for example.
You can't say that because a "Cyber Cafe" let people connect that any
given network drop you find at, say, a company, is likewise fair game.
It's all on the intent and rules set aside by the owner of that
network.

The argument that because you don't secure it, it must be considered
public is flawed.  The same logic would allow anyone to come into your
house and watch TV just because your door was open.  Bad idea to leave
your door open or not secure WiFi?  You bet, but it doesn't change your
intent and it doesn't mean that anyone can legally use your network.

The bottom line is that if you attach to someone's wifi without their
knowledge you may be committing a crime.   A court's view of this could
vary, as you say, might be the purview of good or bad lawyers on either
side.