[Tfug] Debian unable to mount root fs after an update/upgrade

Glen Pfeiffer glen at thepfeiffers.net
Thu Jan 25 16:08:09 MST 2007

---- Stephen Hooper wrote:

> So, now that you know where your primary partition is, and assuming
> you didn't have it in a weird place where you would need an initrd
> image, just go into the chrooted directory structure, change the
> /etc/lilo.conf file to point to the root partition that you found
> (e.g. "root = /dev/hda1"), and then run lilo, and reboot.

I mounted the disk, chroot to the mounted drive, didn't change my
lilo.conf as it was already correct, then tried running lilo, but
it can't find lilo. I thought that lilo was installed in
/sbin/lilo, but it isn't there. And yes, I looked in
/mnt/root/sbin/, which of course is /sbin after the chroot.

I do appreciate your help so far, and hope you have an idea what
to do next.

--
Glen