[Tfug] Dynamic DNS and Qwest?

Joel Howard johord at gainusa.com
Wed Jan 24 14:49:14 MST 2007

Harry McGregor wrote:
> Joel Howard wrote:
>
>> Harry McGregor wrote:
>>

>>> Hi Joel,
>>>
>>> Can you ping 192.168.0.1?
>>>

>> No -- you're right - network unreachable and ifconfig shows eth0 and lo
>> as down. Funny because I configged eth0 in /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 -- IP and
>> subnet mask are there, along with dhcp yes. I expected it to run at boot
>> -- guess it didn't.
>>

> It's been a long time since I have touched slackware.
>
> but dhcp = yes and an ip and subnet mask are inherently exclusive options.
>
> http://www.slackware.com/config/network.php#rc.inet1

Thanks for these pages -- they helped clarify a lot.
> I would suggest  setting USE_DHCP=no
>
> and is your GATEWAY="192.168.0.1"

I added a command to start dhcpcd at the start of rc.inet1, since this
was failing to get started somehow yesterday. It seems to be absolutely
essential to running this DSL. I did both of Harry's suggestions above
in the rc.inet1.conf file and everything works fine. Network, internet,
and mail are constant and come back after a shutdown. I agree that an IP
number and submask are contradictory to the use of dhcp, but I'm not
sure I understand why the dhcp=no when qwest told me to configure for
dhcp in my network, and also gave a suggested IP number to use.
Thanks for your help once again!
JH