[Tfug] qwest high speed internet and linux

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 21 11:15:14 MST 2007

I'm not sure what model you have.  Does it have 3 lights?

If so ... If the network light, which I think is the bottom one, is green and the power light is green then you are close.

The solid red internet light usually means all you need to do is register by going through the online setup.

Joel Howard <johord at gainusa.com> wrote: Harry McGregor wrote:
> Ok, I did some more digging on the Qwest 2-Wire modem,
>
> It should work just fine.
>
> http://www.qwest.com/internethelp/networking/homenetwork/modem.html#General
>
> Setup instructions:
> http://www.qwest.com/internethelp/networking/pdf/13168_SetupConfig_DynIP_PPPoA_msl.pdf

Thanks for directing me to this info. I must be close because because
the lights on the box are different today :-)
The ethernet and power lights are on, the DSL light is green (not
flashing), and the internet light is red.

> Plug it in via Ethernet to your Linux box, set your Linux box to use
> DHCP on it's NIC,
I used netconfig in Slackware-10.2 to select DHCP, but is there supposed
to be a DHCP hostname? I left it blank. When I do ipconfig I get command
not found, whether I sudo or not. /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 start or restart
gets "line(s) 151 (and 114): /sbin/dhcpcd: no such file or directory".
lspci sees my network hardware OK, and the 8139 module for the netcard
appears in lsmod.

and then go to http://192.168.0.1 to configure it.

this won't load (I suspect) because my network isn't running. Not sure
why ipconfig won't wake up or where dhcpcd is. I suspect I'm missing a
pkg. that needs to be loaded or I need to check my kernel support for
dhcp. Am I on the right track?
TIA all...

Tucson Free Unix Group - tfug at tfug.org
Subscription Options: