[Tfug] AVG antivirus for linux

Joe Blais joe.blais at pti-instruments.com
Fri Jan 19 14:36:15 MST 2007

well --

I asked about virus stuff, and everyone said eh! But then the other day I
was looking for a compile/link problem when doing wxWidgets.  Everything
would compile and link, but then running barfed.  The initial solution which
was documented all over was to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH (for temp things other
than setting the ld.so.conf or whatever it was).  I tried it and it worked.
So I tried to set it in my .bash_profile file.  It never showed up after a
login as it should.  So I went grepping around for LD_LIBRARY_PATH and only
found it in places that said it was being set.  But KDE nuked it(the non-gui
F1 login still had it  (Fedora 5)). .  Then I went to the web and found
things similar to this...

http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/6414/discuss

Apparently, Someone could hack in and change the user's library path to some
junk thing, and then when you run the app it would run!

The thing was found and fixed in KDE code, but not until after it happened!
And perhaps fixed only in KDE.

?
It's really just a matter of time and the attitude of someone trying to mess
up other people.

Joe