[Tfug] Stoopid Apache and Wiki questions...

George Cohn gwcohn at simplybits.net
Sat Jan 13 21:17:44 MST 2007

Matt Jacob wrote:

> You can use MediaWiki, which powers Wikipedia, but you'll need PHP and
> MySQL in addition to Apache. Perhaps the easiest way to get everything
> working together is to download and extract XAMPP for Linux
> (http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-linux.html). All you do is
> extract the archive, run the init script, and you're good to go with
> everything you need.
>
> You can get MediaWiki at http://www.mediawiki.org.

Just for fun, I set up mediawiki on a test machine running Debian Etch.

Pretty straight forward but make sure MySql is installed first.  Also,
it requires PHP 5.0 at least, so check for that.

Older versions below something like 1.5 will run on PHP 4.

A ton of personalization screens afterwards but it's all done from a web
browser so it's not terrible.

George Cohn