[Tfug] I need an MO drive.

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 8 13:54:23 MST 2007

Hi, Shawn,

--- Shawn Nock <nock at email.arizona.edu> wrote:

> I have recently discovered an urgent need for a 5"
> MO drive that can
> read the 2.3GB density. The NeXT cube drives can

2G per *medium* or 2G per *side*?

> only read the 500MB

I wasn't aware of a 500M density.  :<  I know there
are ~600M media (~300M/side) and ~1.2G media, etc.

I, of course, am far from an expert on the subject! :<

> density, so those won't work. I believe that Fujitsu
> and Sony made the majority of these drives.
>
> If you are holding on to one of these and are
> interested in loaning or selling it please let me
> know.

Ricoh also made drives -- though I am unsure of the
densities they supported (I think my Ricoh is 1.3G?)

And, PMO -- though I think they only did the 600M
variety.

Check around the U for any of the HP SureStore Optical
JB's.  I am pretty sure the 40fx used the 2G varieties
(made by Sony) -- at least, that's where I got mine.
The JB's turn up at surplus auctions pretty regularly
(though of varying sizes/capacities and, as such,
differing internal drives).

The problem you will find with most MO's is
compatibility -- e.g., most drives can read *some*
of the lower densities than their "native" density.
But, only *write* media of that native density.

And, of course, making sure your OS can support
block sizes other than 512B.  (a problem I am having
with NBSD and Slowaris  :< )

--don