[Tfug] any Linux in-dash car audio tips?

rfs_lists at mac.com rfs_lists at mac.com
Sat Jan 6 20:53:18 MST 2007

On Jan 4, 2007, at 3:23 pm, Andy Halper wrote:

> Insignia NS-C3111.
Looks decent for a good price. A couple of mentions on the web about
poor radio reception, so be prepared to buy an antenna amp for it --
Tucson's FM band is crowded, the geography is against you, and what
with that screen and the magic drivetrain, the Prius has great
potential for RFI!
> It has an aux-in jack on the faceplate, and I was going to
> plug my IOPS MFP-350 (a "chewing-gum" Ogg Vorbis player) into it.
> I figured
> it would be an added bonus if I could play Ogg Vorbis off the disc
> as well.
Yep, CD is far more convenient.
> I share your views on in-car touch screens.
Glad someone does!
> The Prius has one built in to the dash (controls the stock audio
> system
Hm. I could be wrong, but it looks like nobody makes a compatible unit.
> , which is why Best Buy won't go near it
I've found that any mention of any specific purpose gets these sales
droids all a-jitter. They foresee angry customers complaining they
"guaranteed it would work!" and so forth.

Have fun,
Rich.