[Tfug] getting away from windoze

johngalt1 johngalt1 at uswest.net
Sat Jan 6 12:04:44 MST 2007

Oops, sorry about the html post.

I might add that using an old PC for a router sounds like a "green"
approach, but a dedicated PC running a firewall distro uses a lot more
electricity (30-80W) than a embedded device firewall (5-10W) When you run it
24/7, the cost adds up.

If you want to run Linux on a embedded device firewall check out openwrt.org

http://openwrt.org/

http://wiki.openwrt.org/TableOfHardware?action=show&redirect=toh

During the holidays, I got a WRT54GL for $48 shipped. It will be fun to mess
around with it.

There are quite a few dedicated routers that are less expensive. But, even
though most of them run open source software, support for putting your own
OS on them is minimal.