[Tfug] getting away from windoze

lukkystarr at excite.com lukkystarr at excite.com
Sat Jan 6 06:28:25 MST 2007

Hello all, Steve here.  I've posted here before, but it's been a few years I think.  Coffee hour Thursday was cool.  Sometimes the conversation was waaaay beyond me, but at least nobody was talking about the latest episode of the current popular tv show.

Claude convinced me, sort of, to go with Debian on most of the machines at home.  Well, after talking to him I googled more web pages and found these 'About Debian' pages.  Almost lock-step howtos, so I started a dual boot on my main machine (again) to go with the minimal install there.  I have Ubuntu as the main distro for the wife, and the laptop next to it has windoze, in case she feels she just has to see a .wmv on CNN.

I also have an old Tyan Trinity machine in the other room I'm getting set up with a few network cards to set up a router machine.  There are other older machines around here I want to use, one for file server and machines for other distros as well.  It's the networking thing, I want to get over my befuddlement of the whole thing.  I'm tired of making changes to configuration files and my router without knowing what I'm doing.

Looking forward to the next gathering.

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com