[Tfug] Got Sabayon running :)

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 00:15:43 MST 2007

>>On 2/26/07, erich <erich1 at copper.net> wrote:I'm curious,
        What version of xorg-server do you have?

Erich<<

Danged if I know, and I can't find out.  Meant to post back to the list:
Sabayon is far and away THE most unstable mess of a distro I've ever seen or
heard of, at least on my rig :).

Gawd.  Right around the second time that weekend it Chernobyled I gave up.

Onwards and upwards...the perfect distro MUST exist :).  I'm trying the free
version of Mandrake '07 at the moment.  Not half bad.  GREAT config tools at
the GUI.  Apparantly it's a cleaned-up Fedora/Red Hat of some
type...basically tries to be Ubuntu-ish but not starting from Debian.

For those keeping track on my experiences to date:

Ubuntu Dapper: not half bad, but out of date in a lot of areas, and some of
the "pre-built updater kits" like EasyUbuntu or Automatix will hose you but
good.  Based on Gnome 2.14 series code, which ain't good.

Ubuntu Edgy: ye Gods...bit of a mess, that.

OpenSuse 10.2: good, fairly modern, quite stable, package management is
uuuugly and selection somewhat limited.

Fedora Core 6: good, stable, modern, great package management (almost as
good as .deb) but very bleeding edge and some auto-updates will break
stuff.  Impossible to support newbies on...if it was just me I'd live with
it.

Sabayon (Gentoo core, cleaned up): run away quickly.  Throw the CDs in the
microwave for 5 seconds just to make sure they won't plague anybody.  Ghaa.

Mandrake Free '07: Impressive.  Clean installer, amazingly good yet clear
GUI-based management tools...much like OpenSuse's "YaST" but with package
management (and depth) on par with Fedora.  Downside: kernel is still in the
2.6.17xx range...Gnome at 2.16 though.  I'm checking to see if kernel
updates are available, will report back as I live with it for a while.

I need something *I* can live with, yet so can a total noob.  Not at all
easy to find but...we'll see.  I may play with Freespire too...dunno yet.

Question: what other major, professional and stable distros are forked off
of Debian?

Jim