[Tfug] A very nice bandwidth test page...

Jeremy D Rogers jdrogers at northwestern.edu
Sun Feb 25 09:12:12 MST 2007

Ya, I just got DSL last month from AT&T and once connected, they
actually pointed me to that speedtest.net as well: 1302 kbps down, 308
kbps up
When I'm on campus at Northwestern: 5103kbps down, 4214kbps up
What is interesting is that I wanted to see how UA compared since UA
is internet2. So I SSHed in forwarding X and fired up firefox: 209kbps
down, 4909kbps up. I could imaging this might in part be due to the
traffic required for forwarding X, but why the disparity between up
and down. If anything, I would have expected the up to be hurt the
most since that's the direction of all the data for X forwarding. When
I wget or apt-get, I usually see around 750kBps or 6mbps down.

Bowie: What exactly are you 'tweaking'?