[Tfug] VMware

Jeremy D Rogers jdrogers at northwestern.edu
Sat Feb 24 11:48:09 MST 2007

Good timing for this, I was thinking about getting vmware as soon as
my new laptop comes in. In the mean time, I figured I'd check out some
other options (thanks to Ranjan for suggesting qemu). I just installed
winXP using qemu yesterday. It's somewhat remarkable that I was able
to do it on a 700MHz laptop with 256MB ram (installation took a few
hours). I gave the vm 100MB of ram and it worked and I can boot winXP
in about 4 minutes. Qemu (qemu.org) is actually quite amazing. I was
looking at it too run software that requires hardware key dongles
(impossible under wine). So far it looks like getting USB dongles to
work may take an extra step, but it should be possible. I am also
using the kqemu kernel module accelerator that allows code to be
executed directly on the proc.

Setup was a snap on debian. Just follow the quick start guide, it took
no time at all. And since I am running a kernel that I compiled
myself, the kernel mod was also a snap.

I'm not positive it will work if your scanner is USB, but it may be
worth a try given the simplicity of setup. I haven't tried sound yet,
but it is should work.