[Tfug] Virtualization

Chad Woolley thewoolleyman at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 01:40:09 MST 2007

On 2/21/07, Joe Blais <joe.blais at pti-instruments.com> wrote:
> Well--
> I downloaded vm server, It had a console, VixSDK, VmCOMAPI and VmPerlAPI --
> all of which I installed.
> The only thing I could run was the console.  It asks for a host-- so I put
> in localhost, it didn't like that, so I put in the name of my pc, that
> refuses the connection.
>
> do I need to open a port or set up vnc (the console stuff looks a lot like
> vnc or remote desktop)?

Here's some notes I took at work when I installed VMWare server.  This
was about a year ago, dunno what has changed:

    * do the following as root or sudo
    * cd ~/install/vmware/vmware-server-distrib
    * ./vmware-install.pl
    * Take default answers to all prompts, until you get to the
question about the C header files for the kernel (see next bullet). If
it complains about missing dependencies, exit and fix. This will
automatically run "/usr/bin/vmware-config.pl"
    * On the question: "What is the location of the directory of C
header files that match your running

kernel?", enter the path to the correct headers.

    *
          o On the Debian Sarge install, this is a custom kernel which
has support for 8 gig of ram. The answer to the question for this
kernel was "/lib/modules/2.6.8/build/include", which was already
correctly detected as the default value.
          o On the Ubuntu 6.06 server install, I needed to apt-get
install linux-headers-2.6.15-23-server. This installed the headers in
/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.15-23-server.
    * At this point it will compile the vmware module. Continue
answering the defaults to the subsequent questions, until you get to
this one (next bullet)...
    * Answer NO to this question: "Do you want to be able to use NAT
networking in your virtual machines?"
    * Change the answer to this question: "In which directory do you
want to keep your virtual machine files?" from
"/var/lib/vmware/Virtual Machines" to
"/var/lib/vmware/virtual-machines". Don't want to take the chance of
directories with spaces causing problems with backup scripts or other
utilities.
    * eventually, it will ask you for a serial number. This should
have been emailed to you when you registered/downloaded