[Tfug] Gentoo and Sabayon...*maybe* what I need?

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 17:23:35 MST 2007

Ummm...yeah, I do definately know what I'm talking about :).

http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/about.xml

That's the "about" page for Gentoo.  It's a distro.  It's an OLD distro in
fact...only thing weird is, you can choose to start with either a Linux or
FreeBSD base.  It then adds user interface and package management stuff on
top of either core.

It's the core of one of the major "families" the way Red Hat is core to the
RPM world and Debian is core to DEB.  It's more of a "deep geek" distro
needing major configuration, sort of like Slackware.

Sabayon is a Gentoo (Linux, not FreeBSD) fork focusing on graphics
compatibility and quicker setup, but once built is closer to a good working
Gentoo state than Ubuntu is to Debian.  Sayabon can always work with Gentoo
packages, while Ubuntu sometimes pukes on plain .deb stuff meant for Debian.

http://www.sabayonlinux.org/

It's based in Italy so they include Libdvdcss and the like right from the
get-go, and they're the official development distro for Beryl.

So...I guess nobody's played with it yet?

The real "killer app" for me is the ability to demo a 3D desktop on this
ancient laptop o' mine...if I can do THAT...oh yeah.  And I've been meaning
to dive into KDE anyways...

At a minimum I'm going to download a DVD ISO and play with it in live boot.
It it makes my video Beryl-compatible, so long Fedora Core 6, I'll be
playing with this next :).

Jim