[Tfug] no sound on new Ubuntu system

Matthew Patenaude mnglfiddle at gmail.com
Sun Feb 18 11:29:11 MST 2007

More input from terminal:

matthew at mnglfiddle:~$ modprobe snd-atiixp
WARNING: Error inserting snd_ac97_bus
(/lib/modules/2.6.15-28-386/kernel/sound/pci/ac97/snd-ac97-bus.ko):
Operation not permitted
WARNING: Error inserting snd_ac97_codec
(/lib/modules/2.6.15-28-386/kernel/sound/pci/ac97/snd-ac97-codec.ko):
Operation not permitted
FATAL: Error inserting snd_atiixp
(/lib/modules/2.6.15-28-386/kernel/sound/pci/snd-atiixp.ko): Operation not
permitted
matthew at mnglfiddle:~$ sudo modprobe snd-atiixp
matthew at mnglfiddle:~$

The module for my sound card (according to the ALSA site seems to be there,
but not being inserted? Am I misreading this? still nothing is happening
though. I tried killing esd, but still nothing.

Any further ideas?
Matthew