[Tfug] no sound on new Ubuntu system

Matthew Patenaude mnglfiddle at gmail.com
Sat Feb 17 17:06:41 MST 2007

Dear TFUGers,

I recently posted a message about buying a new laptop and wondering about
32bit linux working with 64bit cpus.

I successfully loaded Ubuntu 6.06 and so far everything seems to work...
except I have no sound. I have followed several things on Google, but to
know success.
 Here are some terminal results:

matthew at mnglfiddle:~$ aplay -l
card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: HDA Generic [HDA Generic]
  Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
matthew at mnglfiddle:~$ alsamixer

matthew at mnglfiddle:~$ alsaconf
bash: alsaconf: command not found

I followed on set of advice and totally reinstalled alsa utils, but I still
get "command not found". Any ideas?
I tried to disable esd, but that hasn't worked. I open up
/System/Preferences/Sound and something seems strange: I don't have a
"General" tab, only "Sounds" and "System Beep". One sight mentions a setting
in the General tab and has a screen shot.

Any ideas???????
Thanks in advance.
Matthew