[Tfug] E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open

Matthew T. Eskes meskes at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 19:10:37 MST 2007

Are you root?

-----Original Message-----
From: tfug-bounces at tfug.org [mailto:tfug-bounces at tfug.org] On Behalf Of Earl
Sent: Tuesday, February 13, 2007 7:04 PM
To: tfug at tfug.org
Subject: [Tfug] E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open

I am trying to install Debian Etch on my Sun Ultra 60. I have the base
install up and running. For some reason, I keep running into this
problem while trying to run aptitude in the graphical format...

E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11 Redource
temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg) is
another process using it?
E: Could not regain the system lock! (Perhaps another apt or dpkg is
running?)
E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11 Redource
temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg) is
another process using it?
W: Could not lick the cache file. Opening in read-only mode; any
changes you make to the states of packages will NOT be preserved!

I was trying to install man2html at the time. There seemed to be some
apache configuration problems.

I went to ps aux and found all processes relating to aptitude and tired
to kill them. There was one process that wouldn't die.

I rebooted <gasp> and aptitude worked fine. It took all of the packages
out of cache this time.

Would this problem be caused because something didn't install properly?

Earl

Tucson Free Unix Group - tfug at tfug.org
Subscription Options: