[Tfug] tfug Digest, Vol 43, Issue 22

George Cohn gwcohn at simplybits.net
Sun Feb 11 12:49:53 MST 2007

Eric G wrote:

> I've gotta say that's a friggin awesome idea.... THAT'S why I'm on
> this list :-)
>
> Put it on SourceForge.net :-)

Wish I could say it's an original idea but it isn't.  There are a number
of AGI applications for Asterisk that do weather reports.

The ones from Nerd Vittles allow you to search by either airport code or
zip code using a MySql database.  I just wanted the local Tucson forecast.

The one I made was based on some snippets of code in the "Asterisk-The
Future of Telephony" book by O'Reilly.

I added some features but they were just modifications of existing code.

I can find my way around php, perl, sed, and awk but forgot most of the
C I ever learned.  Used to be able to do assembler but haven't done
anything in that for years.  I'm not a proficient programmer by any
stretch of the imagination.

Asterisk is a truly incredible work.  There are features and
applications for it that conventional PBX manufacturers haven't even
thought of yet.  For one at work, I built conference rooms with pin
numbers that announced who joined or left the conference and how many
people were in it.

The company I was working for rented a similar service from ATT for tens
of thousands of dollars a month.

George Cohn