[Tfug] Thinking linux

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 14:44:19 MST 2007

On 2/5/07, christopher floess <skeptikos at gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, thanks everyone. I'll let you know how it goes once I start. I'd let
> you know what I end up running, but I still haven't picked. At first it
> was
> slack, then gentoo, now I'm leaning toward debian. Anyway, I'll keep you
> posted

I ran across an article somewhere, a how-to on taking the current Debian
Stable (3.1/Sarge) and hand-upgrading it to the sort of desktop
functionality (and a bit of eye-candy) that Ubuntu or similar offers.

Hrmmmm...FOUND IT!

http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT8143350649.html

The upshot seems to be that, as long as you're willing to tweak things here
and there (manually loading bits that are needed by higher-level apps) it
will work fine, but it's not for the newbie.

Jim