[Tfug] More "Millie" stff

lukkystarr at excite.com lukkystarr at excite.com
Tue Feb 6 07:52:10 MST 2007

The 'Millie' thread, and my own experiences have got me thinking about this a lot.  Sometimes the complexities involved with installing a distro are simply too great to overcome, and it's a turn off to most Windows people I discuss Linux with.  I understand completely, because although I like using Linux, the numerous issues can be overwhelming for someone that wants something 'out of the box'.  I've had most distros on my main machine; not long ago I had 6 partitions on a machine running various versions of a couple distros.  This, along with the frequency with which I change my machine, makes it difficult to keep something consistent.  That is probably the only reason, now, that I keep windows on the main box, consistency for the 'other user' (my wife).

It's hard to be consistent with Linux because 1. I am clueless about command line beyond the basics, 2. I change my machine a LOT, 3. numerous versions of numerous distros, and 4. the number of applications that need to be run.

Every machine is different in so many ways, and although I love messing with my machines and getting Linux working, I wouldn't have time to install Linux for someone else, because of the time it takes to get everything right.

That said, there are countless projects using Linux, with and without hardware.  I've started quite a few, but haven't finished any because there is always another to explore.  I haven't seen anything like a complete package though.  If we wanted something someone could put together quickly, would it be a long process to put together?  I'm talking start to finish - a list of basic computer parts, along with a specific distro structured for this specific machine composed of specific basic parts.

When I put a machine together for someone, I can get the latest hardware and install XP and basic apps in under 3 hours.  Has anyone ever come up with a plan for something similar for a Linux box?  Something that offers step by step instructions for just getting a specific machine up and running with standard apps?  I guess that would mean building 'another' specific distribution though.  I don't know, maybe I just haven't looked hard enough....

This is just a little extreme though, don't ya think?

http://www.linuxjournal.com/articles/lj/0136/8292/8292f2.png

Steve

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com