[Tfug] 5-in-1 network admin's cable

rfs_lists at mac.com rfs_lists at mac.com
Mon Feb 5 15:23:24 MST 2007

On Feb 5, 2007, at 11:54 am, Eric G wrote:

> Oh well... "the hubris of the defeated" as they say lol.
I used to have a bad habit of inexplicably giving the wrong "rapid
fire" advice even though I knew the right answer. Since fixed with a
patch to "advice.h". Measure twice, cut once and all that...

>> Just to be clear: rollover != crossover. Crossover has 1&3 and 2&6
>> swapped.
> And just a note on that
> 569A to 568B = crossover cable
(569A? That keyboard's going to get you in trouble one of these
days! :-)

And if y'r wonderin' which to use for straight through, here's a good
enough explanation:
http://www.ablecables.com.au/568avb.htm#_Toc426467842

Summary in "rule of thumb" format:
1. use 568A for new infrastructure (it's more backwardly compatible
with phone wiring standards)
2. don't replace 568B with 568A
3. only replace 568B with 568A if you're replacing *all* of it
4. use what the heck you like for wall-to-computer cables

Rich