[Tfug] Accessing shared folder

Ronald Sutherland rsutherland at epccs.com
Sat Feb 3 14:30:05 MST 2007

Are you using M$ domain server and dhcp, if so make sure the IP address
of that PC is in the name server correctly. To this day that is always
screwed up at the corp I work at, unfortunately no one can fix it, on
the plus side it no longer affects my work. I first noticed the problem
at home on my DIY educator network (Win 2k), the only fix I found was to
assign a PC to an address with the DHCP management tool. I still see the
problem where I work and I think they moved to Winblows 2003 (not sure).
I'm guessing DHCP is not cleaning up used names from the name server
when it moves them. I think the samba client gets IP address from the
name server, M$ has some other tricks to get the address for a name, so
they may work while your Samba client fails.