[Tfug] Truth in advertising

George Cohn gwcohn at simplybits.net
Fri Feb 2 16:44:28 MST 2007

Claude Rubinson wrote:
> Was just looking at an ethernet cable tester and was pleasantly
> surprised that their product requirements included: "Computer
> networking knowledge."
>
> http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=SS35407-TEST&cat=NET

Wow! That's a good price for a tester and crimper.  I paid about that
much just for the same tester on eBay.

Keep in mind that they test continuity only and indicate if the pinning
is correct or not.

If you want something to "certify" cables, plan on spending $100 -
$1,000 dollars.

How many folks know the difference between EIA 568-B and EIA 568-A pinning?

Telephone stuff uses what Cisco would call a "rollover" cable, that is
it's flipped from one end to the other.

George Cohn