[Tfug] Ideas for the ultimate "Grandma Millie" distro

Tim Ottinger tottinge at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 14:46:28 MST 2007

I am stubborn. And I'm not alone.  Now we have multiple of us pushing that
whatever materials we have are composed of open-format components.  The
spreadsheets and graphics are increasingly jpg/png/gif.   Less proprietary
windows stuff is included every time.  This time around, it's our year!  Let
the windows people struggle to make it easy for us for a change!

I tried wine a long time ago, and couldn't get it working.  I've not tried
it lately, though I might do that rather than blow good money on windows
license to run in a vm.   Personally, I resent having any Microsoft software
on my computer, so I guess I'm a bit of a "hater" in that regard.  Read the
latest EULA for Vista and you can be a hater too.

So if I were in Gnome or KDE, what advantages would I get when using wine or
crossover?