[Tfug] Ideas for the ultimate "Grandma Millie" distro

Tim Ottinger tottinge at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 08:44:14 MST 2007

Thank you for being so thorough ("not the typical grandma" indeed!).

I may get crossover as well, but for my kids to play windows games... they
feel left out as-is.

I am a little saddened that you have so much need for windows software, and
that XFCE doesn't play well enough with crossover and wine for you.   I was
hoping that you would find sufficient software in Linux land to be able to
get by on native apps. I suppose there is still some room to grow there.

I also have noticed that the ole stuff in documents is a powerful force
keeping a lot of people stuck in MS Office.  I am strictly an OO person, and
I teach OO design.  When my company gives me materials in ppt format,
sometimes I can't teach from them.  I have to do extra work to try to get
replacement art and text for ole-embedded diagrams, spreadsheets, etc.
We're trying to get free from M$ as well; there is only one machine in the
company running windows (that I know of) outside of Parallels.  We're all
Ubuntu and Mac OS X people now, and our servers are all some kind of Linux.
I think that for the typical retiree, though, it's not much of an issue.

I think it's cool that you use the Serif programs, though, and I remember
paying for those many years ago and not making enough use of them to keep
up.  They seemed to produce some nice stuff.  It's cool also that you were
an OS/2-er (I did work in OS/2 in early 90s).

I think you taught me something here, that Millie may have years and years
of pictures, documents, and data generated with low-cost (or even high-cost)
Windows apps. I had not thought about all the stuff a person might have
accumulated and might want to bring forward.   This might be true even for
typical
Millies.

> The ideal Granny distro needs to do email browsing banking ordering on
> the internet and be able to handle printers scanners all in ones etc
> from Wally World OUT OF THE BOX. And produce perfect grandkid photos.

:-)