[Tfug] OSX

Rich r-lists at studiosprocket.com
Mon Dec 31 17:35:20 MST 2007

On Dec 31, 2007, at 10:26 am, Bexley Hall wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I finally got around to installing OSX on my
> Beige G3.  Granted, this is an old release
> (10.1 or 10.2?).
>
> Can anyone please tell me what all the hoopla
> was about?  Aside from some eye candy (e.g.,
> the dancing icons in the dock), it seems
> pretty "Ho, hum...".
>
> I.e., is there any reason I should keep the
> machine (and OS) up and running now that I've
> seen it?
 From a tech pov, Netinfo's the biggie. No flat files for you mister.
Unlike NIS+, it doesn't upgrade from and depend on existing flat
files: it replaces them. All tools have a sensible cli and a gui
version.

Also Xcode is the A1 super IDE. Great for Java.

 From a user pov, run your favorite X apps natively alongside MS
Office and Photoshop on the same box. Same as Windoze and Cygwin/X or
Linux & wine... however, you *know* those are hacks, OS X is meant to
be that way.

Remember 10.2 is history. Like Win XP before the service packs and
Linux before Ubuntu.

R.