[Tfug] OSX

Jim Secan jim at nwra.com
Mon Dec 31 11:06:30 MST 2007

If you're not willing to get a newer machine and run at least 10.4, I'd
say don't bother.  If you love X11, you can download and install it to run
on OSX.  There are also various better alternatives to the Mac terminal.
If you live on Linux, and you like fiddling and being able to get "down to
the metal" to make things work the way you want, don't bother with OSX
unless you have a business need (as in a customer that wants stuff that
works on OSX).

I use Linux for my heavy lifting (mostly scripting and command-line use)
and OSX for my desktop needs.  I had planned to move exclusively to Linux,
ridding myself of my Windoze box for desktop needs, but Linux is too
high-maintenance and RTFM-ridden for my liking.  I use computers to do my
real job, and the less time I have to spend in computer care-and-feeding
the better.  This combination of OSX for the desktop and Linux for the
heavy-duty processing is a good mix that works for me.

Jim