[Tfug] Shameless Parts Trafficking (big list)

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 30 14:14:19 MST 2007

Greetings!

--- Jude Nelson <judecn at gmail.com> wrote:

> I was originally planning on building an openMOSIX
> or a Beowulf
> cluster over the winter break, but my parental units

(sigh)  Such killjoys!  :>

> had other
> plans--I have to get rid of all the PCs I was going
> to use as nodes, as well as some Sun hardware >.<

Any *short* wide SCSI cables (i.e. 12 inches long)?

> I also don't know my SCSI ports very well (where
> applicable);

50 pin cables/connectors are typically single-ended,
narrow SCSI.

68 pin cables/connectors are typically wide SCSI.

There are lots of variations, however.

E.g., Apple was fond of a DB-25 based SE SCSI port
(along with some wacky pinouts they used on laptops
and docks).

"Old Sun" SCSI connectors were *huge* affairs (can't
recall pincount... probably 50-ish) and definitely
not on any of the kit you mention below.

Internal SCSI connectors tend to be either 50 pin
ribbon cables (recall an IDE drive is 40 pin ribbon),
68 pin "D" connectors (found on drives *with* a
separate power connector) or 80 pin SCA (Single
Connector Attachment -- i.e. SCSI + power rolled
into that ONE connector).

Some cables can be used for differential *or*
single ended applications (i.e. the signal returns
for a SE application become the differential mates
in a differential application).

And, some off-brand cables can be total trash
(they cheat and eliminate some of the returns).

> Sun 50-pin SCSI external CD/CD-R drive
> $15 or best offer

This would be a 411 case.  About 2 inches tall,
beige with "purple" feet, *square* when viewed
from above.  The two 50 pin high density SCSI
connectors are located on the rear, one above the
other.

By contrast, a 611 case is a little narrower,
is most definitely *rectangular*, and has a pair
of 68 pin connectors side-by-side on the rear.

> Sun 50-pin SCSI external storage disk enclosure
> Contains 4 SCSI Seagate Barracuda disks of unknown
> capacity (probably 2.1 GB each)
> Would make a good external RAID. $25 or best offer

This is probably an 811 case.  Same shape as the
411 (more or less) but twice as tall.

> 2 50-pin Sun SCSI cables
> (I don't know my SCSI cables very well, but this one
> works with both
> external devices and most Sun workstations have
> these) $2 or best offer

Most *old* Sun workstations have these.  (e.g. 4m
vintage).  Newer machines have 68 pin connectors
(most ultra's, etc.)

> 1 Sun SBus ZX Leo framebuffer card
> (24-bit, 3D acceleration, unopened)
> $5, or free with the SparcStation 20 (whichever is
> sold first)

If you don't find a buyer, please consider sending it
to one of the SPARC developers on any of the free
eunices.

> Sun Ultra Enterprise 1 workstation
> 187 MHz UltraSPARC I processor

I can probably find you (or whomever) a faster
processor for this.  Though I may have to refresh
my memory as I suspect the U1 used a different
CPU module than what I am thinking of...

> 1 GB RAM
> 3 SBus ports (all occupied)
> 1 SBus SunGX framebuffer card (8-bit, 13W3 port)
> 1 SBus 100 MBit Ethernet card (with MII port)

Which card is this?  I may be looking for a 100M card
if I resurrect my LX...

> 1 SBus SCSI Differential card
> Integrated 10 MBit Ethernet
> 3 23-pin Parallel ports

I suspect that should be:
2  25 pin SERIAL ports
1  25 pin PARALLEL port

<grin>  The icons adjacent to each port take some
getting used to before you can sort out what the hell
they are trying to depict!

> 1 SCSI port (I don't know the type)

I think the U1 still was 50 pin *narrow*.

> Integrated audio
> 1 15-pin serial port

Hmmm... that doesn't sound right.  Perhaps you are
refering to an MII or parallel port?  (does the icon
look like two PARALLEL -- though slanted -- lines?)
Sun has all sorts of oddball adapter cables to get
from the back of "whatever" machine to "something
more traditional"...

> 1 SCSI CD drive
> 1 Sun Keyboard/Mouse port
> NO HARD DRIVES (accepts up to 2 SCSI disks [this one
> had a Seagate Cheetah disk])

I think the U1 can accept one 1/3 height and one 1/2
height?

> 1 drive sled included
> $30 or best offer
>
> Sun SparcStation 20 workstation
> 2 50 MHz SuperSPARC processors
> 480 (?) MB RAM
> 4 SBus ports (2 occupied)
> 1 SBus LSI Framebuffer card (unknown specs)
> 1 SBus 100 MBit card (with FastWide SCSI port)

As above, I would be interested in this if I resurrect
my LX...

> Integrated Framebuffer (unknown specs)
> 1 23-pin Parallel port
> Integrated 10 MBit Ethernet
> 2 MII (?) ports
> 1 SCSI (?) port
> 1 SCSI CD drive
> 1 SCSI Floppy drive
> 9 GB IBM SCSI hard drive
> Could never get Debian installed on this, but I hear
> it can run NetBSD $25 or best offer

I ran NetBSD 2.0.2 for some time on a quad 70MHz(?)
SS20 and was quite happy (though the case gets hot
enough to toast bread!)

> 2 Macintosh LC III (Performa 450) workstations
> 25 MHz or 33 MHz (overclocked) Motorola 68030
> processor
> Socket for Motorola 68882 FPU
> 36 MB RAM (4 MB on-board, 32 MB stick)
> 758K VRAM
> 1 PDS card slot (occupied)
> 1 10 MBit Ethernet PDS card (with coaxial cable
> socket)
> 1 ADB port
> 1 DB-15 video port
> 1 DB-25 SCSI port
> Integrated audio
> Integrated modem
> Printer port (unknown type)
> 40 or 80 MB SCSI disk (that's right, 40 or 80
> Megabytes)
> System 7.5.5
> These *could* run Debian, but I don't have big
> enough disks :( $20 or best offer

They'll take SE SCSI narrow drives -- like the SS20.

I may have some assorted cards for old Macs for anyone
going this route...

(I never liked running anything other than MacOS
on Macs because of the problems booting headless.
Perhaps this is different on Linux?)

--don