[Tfug] holidays with linux

christopher floess skeptikos at gmail.com
Wed Dec 26 16:55:02 MST 2007

> Ahh, fvwm's man page.  The War and Peace of man pages... :)

lol, that might be the most appropriate description about the
the fvwm man page.

I actually kind of admire their subbornness about making
their online documentation more navigatable. I did see a
pretty good rendition of the documentation that was linked
and groupable in various ways, depending on preference,
but since it's not even linked on the official site, I've lost
track of where it is.

> Over the years, my method has evolved to: "(1) Notice that something's
> bugging me and/or that I'm repeating myself.  (2) Open the fvwm man
> page.  (3) Search out the relative commands.  (4) Try to do it, not
> understand why my function's not working, and bang my head against the
> keyboard for a while until I realize that I've forgotten to include "+
> I" in my function (or some equally trivial syntax error) and that it
> actually would have worked all along if not for my own ineptitude.
> (5) Rinse and repeat.  Maybe it's a personal problem.

Sounds like my coding in general. I haven't really started
to take advantage of fvwm's advanced abilities. I hope to
start messing with some of the modules next weekend
and in the next couple of days I plan to write my first
dynamic menu.

Basically it would list the contents of my Desktop folder.
While I like the idea of saving temporary files to a
'Desktop', fvwm's clean desktop by not having desktop
icons has also grown on me. Solution: a dynamic menu
listing the contents when I open it.

It would also be nice if I could assign actions to them
based on their file types; we'll see.

--
Fuck it, Dude. Let's go Bowling.
~ Walter Sobchak