[Tfug] Cheap Memory = Lardy Men.

Jude Nelson judecn at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 12:47:34 MST 2007

I agree--coders should be forced to learn on low, low-end hardware
(even if only in a VM) and earn the privilage of using faster, better
systems.  That's how I learned--I started Basic and asssembler on a
TI-83+ graphing calculator (23k RAM, 16 MHz Zilog z80 [8-bit], 1.5 MB
flash ROM), and moved to C on a TI-89 graphing calculator (191k RAM,
12 MHz Motorola 68k processor, 300k flash ROM, 32k code segments [the
68k has a 16-bit data bus but was 32-bit internally]), and moved to
Palm OS devices (wow!  a whole megabyte of heap space!), and then
finally to PCs.

And how does the U of A teach CS students to code?  With a 16 GB
quad-core 64-bit server, with Java 5 of course!  Seriously, how do you
even *use* that much horsepower?  My dual-core laptop with 2 GB RAM is
only justified in that I need to be able to do my homework off-line
(oh, and show Compiz Fusion to those foolish enough to think Vi$ta is
the Second Coming).

Regards,
Jude Nelson