[Tfug] Cheap Memory = Lardy Men.

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 17 21:04:34 MST 2007

If housing costs kept up with computer hardware costs you would be libing in a 75000 sq ft hours that cost $5.00 and came with it's own fire department.

"Bowie J. Poag" <bpoag at comcast.net> wrote:
Ever heard those stories of people so disgustingly fat that the fire
department has to cut a hole out of the side of their house to get them out?

That's how I feel about it.

What I would love, love, love to see is a University take a class of CS
students, and give them an assignment like so:

"Build a prime number generator that spits out primes as fast as
possible. Group A will have an Athlon 64 with 2GB RAM to develop their
application on. Group B will have a Pentium 75 with 16MB RAM. Both
team's submissions will ultimately run on Group A's hardware. The team
with the fastest prime engine gets $500, out of my own pocket. Get
started. You have two weeks.

I'd bet you *my house* that Group B's code will beat the pants off of
Group A's code on Group A's own hardware, by virtue of Group A being so
far removed from the real underlying capability of the machine, and so
bloated on a result-per-clock basis, that they may have just as well
developed their code *on* a weeny Pentium 75. With more limited
hardware, Group B is quickly going to place more of an emphasis on
refining the algorithm, and using every precious clock cycle at their
disposal wisely. Meanwhile, more than likely, Group A will build some
sort of E-Z Bake Oven applet in Java or .NET that delivers a fraction of
the speed that the hardware is truly capable of, by virtue of the OS
they've slapped on it without thinking, and by virtue of the 15 miles of
bloat that the code has to swim through to get the job done.

Good news is, if Moore's Law begins to break down, more people will
realize they're cutting holes in fat men's houses. The solution isn't to
cut holes in the sides of buildings, or build a bigger houses for fatter
and fatter men. The solution is to keep the fried chicken away from the
fat man in the first place.

Cheers,
Bowie

Tucson Free Unix Group - tfug at tfug.org