[Tfug] Laptop Battery Problem

Nathanial Hendler nathanhendler at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 23:44:14 MST 2007

I am stumped.  I purchased a new battery for my Toshiba 420CDT (a 10
year old laptop) a few months ago, and the battery holds a charge, but
with the battery in the laptop *and* the power cord connected to the
laptop as well, eventually the computer will turn off and lock up.  At
this point it won't respond to the power button (quick presses or
holding it down), and the power led will blink orange (4 times, pause,
repeat).

In other words, when charging the battery, it will eventually power
off and lock up.

I get this behavior regardless of the OS (FreeDos, Slackware Linux &
Windows 95), and it also does this when the laptop isn't even on (ie
led blinks and it doesn't respond to the power button).

If I remove the battery, and replace it, the computer will start up
and continue.

It seems like it could be doing this when the battery reaches a full
charge, but I can't confirm that.  It never does it if it's running on
A/C only (battery removed) or battery only.  It never did this with
the old battery in it that didn't hold a charge.

I thought that perhaps replacing the two batteries on the motherboard
would help.  Pram/bios, whatever they are.  I have replaced them both,
and there is no difference, but I know the batteries are working since
the date is saved even with no A/C or battery.

Any ideas?  I've put a bunch of work into repairing and restoring this
old laptop, and it's frustrating to be stumped by the battery.

Thanks,
Nathanial Hendler