[Tfug] Problem doing an Ubuntu install on VMware

John Karns johnkarns at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 09:34:55 MST 2007

On Dec 2, 2007 7:15 PM, Ray <raydime at cox.net> wrote:
> I'm pretty new at this so please bear with me.
>
> I just installed VMWARE server for windows.  I downloaded Ubuntu 7.10
> Desktop for x86 to install as a virtual machine on my Windows XP media
> center (Pro) machine.  I did get a good MD5SUM so I think the download
> was okay.  The install fails with the following error:
>
> Operation on file "E:\ubuntu-7.10-desktop-i386.iso" failed (Data error
> (cyclic redundancy check)).
> Choose Retry to attempt the operation again. Choose Abort to terminate
> this session.
> Choose Continue to forward the error to the guest operating system.
>
> Any ideas?  Thanks.

Kinda' looks like your file DL'd with errors or there was a problem
when you burned it.  You can DL find a file which contains the CRC
checksum info on the site where you found the .iso, such as:

http://releases.ubuntu.com/7.10/MD5SUMS

Then you need a utility to compute the checksum of the iso you have
which runs on a machine that you have handy.  Compare the output of
that program to the info in the md5sum file mentioned above.

It may be just as easy for you repeat the DL.  I would recommend using
a program called a bittorrent client.  You would first DL that program
and install it.
Then run it and point it to a URL of a torrent file, such as:

http://releases.ubuntu.com/7.10/ubuntu-7.10-desktop-i386.iso.torrent

That should get you a useable image file.

--
John