[Tfug] FreeBSD vs. Linux

Predrag Punosevac punosevac72 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 12:55:05 MST 2007

On Dec 1, 2007 9:59 AM, Earl <earljviolet at juno.com> wrote:
> I have a CD for FreeBSD 6.1 for Sparc64.  If I install that, will it do the updates for me to 6.3 or will I need to do a lot of extra work?
>
> I read the manual but there are still questions.
>
> Earl

Do minimal installation  without  X and without source of the OS.
Do not take the ports either. Newer versions have cvsup utility
if you do not have (see /var/db/pkg) take it with pkg_add -r
cvsup_nogui (you have to check in ports exact name of the packet
and make sure you take the one with no GUI).

Then change the tags for cvsup utility (see the Handbook section
about staying current and stable) so that it is tagged to snap
the source of the stable 6.3

Then you must recompile the kernel and build the world (see the
handbook it is trivial) which should take about 1-3 hours depends on
the speed of your computer.

Then snap the port tree.

Best,
Predrag

I honestly thing that if you are doing fresh installation you should
cut new CD or boot the computer with the CD you have and then do
ftp installation