[Tfug] Setting [u|f]mask on a bind mount

Glen Pfeiffer glen at thepfeiffers.net
Fri Aug 31 15:15:17 MST 2007

I want to have a directory tree appear in several places, while
forcing certain permissions for created files to be 0660.

I tried mounting a directory like so:

  mount --bind -o umask=0117 /home/files /home/glen/files

and

  mount --bind -o fmask=0117 /home/files /home/glen/files

But the above commands had no effect on permissions of created
files. Then I read the man page:

  Note that the filesystem mount options will remain the same  as
  those on  the original mount point, and cannot be changed by
  passing the -o option along with --bind/--rbind.

I take that to mean that I cannot change the umask when mounting
with --bind.

Any ideas on how to achieve my goal?

--
Glen