[Tfug] DynDNS howto

Jeremy D Rogers jdrogers at optics.arizona.edu
Mon Aug 27 05:54:31 MST 2007

On 8/26/07, Predrag Punosevac <punosevac72 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I forgot to say that the only way I see apache content from my server
> is as http://localhost

Predrag, so do you mean to say that you still are not able to get to
your apache server from the external internet? If you forward/unblock
port 80 on both the DSL modem and the router, you should see apache on
the local machine when you direct your browser to the global IP
address (or maybe even the dyndns domain name you chose if you get
that working properly). If the ISP is indeed blocking port 80, you can
always try port 8080 and set apache to run on that as well.

BTW, from what I understand, ISP's do not want people running web
servers, so some of them block port 80 and many of them have terms in
the contract about how you will not run any 'servers'. In practice, I
don't think they care as long as you don't attract a ton of traffic. I
only have my web server (and ssh server) running to allow me to access
some of my files, but I password protect it to ensure that I'm the
only one using it. I figure the ISP should be fine with it so long as
I am the only one using it even though I technically initiate the
connection externally.
But I wouldn't go around hosting your blog on it. :-)
JDR