[Tfug] Wanted: Cox compatible cable modem

Dennis McCormick macsinitial65haus at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 08:44:19 MST 2007

On 8/24/07, Claude Rubinson <rubinson at u.arizona.edu> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking to buy a Cox-compatible cable modem.  Does anybody have a
> Linux-friendly one that they're looking to sell?  Alternatively, does
> anybody want to recommend one?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Claude

I've had the Motorola 5120 model for a year or so. For the first 2 or
3 months it would lose the connection, sometimes during an ISO
download, about once a day or so. The front panel indicator LED
actually showed the loss. It was necessary to cycle the power to
restore the connection. One Cox technician said that this modem
doesn't handle low signal level conditions well. After several service
calls, that 3-month period and no configuration changes on my part the
modem has worked well with only one or two connection losses. So Cox
may have change something somewhere to get me acceptable service. The
5120 works well with either Linux or Windows but I do use a router.

Dennis McCormick