[Tfug] SCSI disks

johngalt1 johngalt1 at uswest.net
Mon Aug 20 22:14:57 MST 2007

IMHO this problem / thread is way too complicated. Granted,
the topic can be pain in the ass.

IIRC, the problem was find a SCSi drive to fit a 50 pin 8bit
narrow SCSI host adapter. Correct?

I have / had some SCA drive adapters that had connectors to
attach 50 pin and 68 pin cables to. Also, IIRC the adapters
had places for terminating resistors. Elliott had such
things, (or was it, Frys in phoenix?) Nevertheless, one can
get cheap ($15) SCA adapters that make this problem easier
than trying many of the alternatives, IMO. (think mail
order)

narrow SCSI drives are getting scarce due to their age, but
one can find lots of cheap SCA drives. IMHO, one can use
such a drive in a narrow 8 bit HBA application. Just
terminate it appropriately.

I used to toy with putting connectors on ribbon cables, but
often that turned out to work poorly in the long run. At
first I used pliers to squeeze the connector on to the
cable. And after that didn't work reliably, I used a smooth
jawed vice, which didn't consistently work well either. I
used to do manufacture of aircraft grade connectors and wire
harnesses, but somehow attaching connectors to 'simple
ribbon cables' was beyond me at times. (my excuse is that
brand X taiwan connector applicability isn't guaranteed with
brand Z ribbon cable)

If you are looking for a guide on using wide / narrow /
whatever kind of SCSI drive on whatever kind of host bus
adapter, I revel in the advice once found on Adaptec's
support pages.

They explained in excruciating detail the various

1. types of SCSI cables,
2.widths of SCSI buses
3. speeds and compatibility of said types.
4. how to connect and terminate any type of situation
including wide / narrow | narrow / wide matchups.
5. High voltage/ low voltage/ differential/ single ended -
dual ended / fiberchannel - detail ad nauseum.

FWIW.

I don't know the following vendor. The following is an
example.

http://www.computercablesource.com/scsi-sca-adapter-sca-80-female-to-hd-68-female-and-idc-50-male-internal-se-with-active-termination-973.html

Way too pricey, IMO but just another example. Cut
terminators off the previous example for 1/3 the cost.
http://www.computercablesource.com/scsi-sca-adapter-sca-80-female-to-idc-50-male-internal-se-with-active-high-byte-termination-976.html