[Tfug] SCSI disks

John Karns johnkarns at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 14:24:12 MST 2007

It's been a while since I've futzed around with SCSI devices, so I'm
relying on my memory which has faded somewhat regarding datails...

On 8/16/07, Bexley Hall <bexley401 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> However, the LX uses "50 pin (SE) SCSI".  I've
> never seen a 50 pin drive larger than 4G (but
> I suspect they exist -- or existED!).  In any
> case, I don't *have* such a device.
>
> *But*, I can probably find a *wide* SCSI drive
> (non-SCA) of a larger size.

> But, is this as "simple" as getting a cable
> with a 50 pin berg connector on one end and
> a 68 pin wide scsi connector on the other?

Yes, I've done exactly that, connecting a 68-pin wide drive to an
Adaptec 50-pin 1460 slim SCSI pcmcia card to read / write the drive.

> I have just such a beast *but* I think it was
> intended to go from a wide *host* to a narrow
> *target* (i.e., there is a terminator on the
> 50-pin end of the cable) -- not exactly what
> I was looking for.
>
> Can I cut off the terminator (on the cable)
> and, *if* the drive supports it, enable
> termination on the drive?

I would say yes.  For me, for termination on the cable, I prefer a
pluggable terminator anyway.  Aside: the 50 pin connectors, if you can
find them anymore, are "instant install", in that they pierce the
cable when pressed onto the cable, so you don't have to solder each
connection.  This makes it practical to add a connector for a
pluggable terminator, should you need it later on.

I found the SCSI specs are remarkably well thought out regarding
maintaining backward compatibility.

> Grrrr.... "Standards are great; everybody should
> have one!"  :(

Hey, have you been talking to the MS people?  (OOXML vs ODF)  :)

--
John Karns