[Tfug] Sound Recording FreeBSD and remark about multiple monitors

Ljubica Punosevac punosevac72 at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 17 02:38:33 MST 2007

I was wondering if somebody has experience with sound recording in FreeBSD, using mixer utility and similar things.I am trying to get Skype working on my FreeBSD machine and I am having big troubles to set up microphone and mixerusing Open Sound System compiled from ports(I have AudigySE sound card which is not supported by native drivers) I am at the point that I want to give up if there is an easier solution. If you know anything about OSS I would be more than happy to supply you osstest, ossinfo, ossmix and other outputs  as well my devfs.conf with 0666 permission given to all sound devices I could think of. I would be willing to shed $30 for Sound Blaster Live or even more money for any other sound card supported by Kernel drivers as long as I know that somebody had experience with that particular card and actually got things working and recording the sound. Even better if you are using successfully Skype or any of SIP technology phones like Ekiga, Kphone or Limphone could you walk me through  your  set up. I can Skype from my Debian computer at the U of A but I really want to get it working here at home.Thanks Predrag P. S.For people struggling with multiple monitors on FreeBSD I would suggest to download the book The Complete FreeBSD by Greg Lehey from his web site http://www.lemis.com/grog/Documentation/CFBSD/Read carefully Chapter 28 and in particular pages 523-527