[Tfug] vmware workstation 6.0 usb support...

daniel galaska galaskadaniel at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 11 00:19:37 MST 2007

hello all --

i am a lurker on this list and must admit that i have been enjoying the discussions on this listserv -- the gamut is certainly run in regard to subject matter :).

i am a fairly new linux user (i have been running ubuntu exclusively since 6.10) and have learned more about my machines in that short time than all of my previous computing experience combined (i bought my first desktop in 2000). the bug has most definitely bitten.

be that as it may.... i have run into a problem for which i have been unable to find an adequate solution. i am running windows xp pro as a virtual machine on my ubuntu laptop (hp dv2020us, amd turion x2 1.6 ghz, 1024 ram, geforce go 6150) for the purposes of syncing my palm tungsten e2. i have tried jpilot and the like but, alas, the palm device doesn't seem to like syncing with linux.

vmware workstation 6.0 purports that it will support usb in the guest os but, for some reason, i cannot get my palm pilot to sync. it appears that vmware "sees" my palm, and the pilot itself is a selectable option in the removable media => usb menu, but no dice when it comes to the sync operation.

does anyone have any experience with palm pilots and linux - or - palm pilots and vmware workstation? any suggestions are welcomed for sure.

again, as a sort of dilletante-ish linux user/enthusiast, this forum is fun to have in the inbox.

cheers.

-- daniel